Para

Team | Content
die presse durfte auf der ces nochmal psvr2 antesten, gibt deswegen aktuell einige neue previews.

There's been a lot said about the PlayStation VR2 for the PlayStation 5, much of which revolves around its high asking price. But having been one of the first to sample the virtual reality kit at the world's largest technology show, CES 2023, I immediately went ahead and pre-ordered one.
The sense of scale is phenomenal too, that being an obvious strength of virtual reality. Call of the Mountain's opening scene sees you floating on the water in a rowboat, while a Stormbird, Tallneck and many other mechanical familiarities roam closely around you. Their presence is so much more powerful than I've felt in any Horizon game before, so I bet there are plenty of treats that I'm yet to experience in the full game.

Sure, there are hurdles to get over in understanding the control system mechanics, and I'm yet to test out combat in this game, but based on my short teaser taster, I think that Horizon: Call of the Mountain could be the game to convince me that virtual reality has legs.

I have to admit, I was very pessimistic about the PlayStation VR 2 before trying it for myself. Its high price and need to be plugged into a PS5 meant that it faced an uphill battle to challenge existing headsets such as the Meta Quest 2 and Pico 4.

But then I was given the opportunity to try out the PSVR 2 at CES 2023, and I came away seriously impressed – this could be one of the very best VR headsets I've ever used.

The OLED display looked fantastic, the haptic feedback was incredibly immersive and the eye-tracking technology felt delightfully futuristic. Factor in the more ergonomic controllers, and there's no doubt that this is a massive upgrade on the original PSVR.
I was able to spend 30 minutes with the PSVR 2 while playing the launch title Horizon Call of the Mountain. Here are my thoughts.

I'm impressed with how comfortable this headset was to wear for 30 minutes – not once did I need to adjust the headset during my 30-minute demo. That's not only helped by the padding that Sony has used, but also by ensuring the weight is well distributed.
….
I only played 30 minutes of Horizon Call of the Mountain during my time with the PlayStation VR 2, but it was probably my favourite VR experience yet, alongside Half-Life Alyx.

VR provided a better sense of scale for the colossal dinosaurs, whether it was the Tallneck that towered above me and caused the ground to shudder, or the Snapmaw that lurked underneath my boat – the machines were a lot more intimidating here compared to their PS4 and PS5 counterparts.

The Sony PSVR 2 has everything I loved about the PSVR, while addressing almost everything I didn't.
The difference in quality is very noticeable. Obviously, the Sony PS5 has more power than the PS4, but the improvements to the resolution and quality of the lenses are still very obvious. Even the lenses are different this time, as the PSVR 2 features Fresnel lenses with an IPD lens adjustment dial. Basically, this lets you improve the spacing to better match the distance between eyes.
My time with the PSVR 2 was brief, but I was very much left wanting more. Of course, the answer to whether it's worth it for you will really depend. If you are a PS5 owner and are intrigued by VR, absolutely. If you don't already own a PS5 the answer gets harder.
At $550, the PSVR 2 isn't cheap — $150 more than the self-contained Quest 2. And again, with the PSVR 2, you also need a $500 PS5 on top of this. That said, you get what you pay for, and the PSVR 2 feels much more like a high-end PC VR experience than the original PSVR ever did.

Setting up to play Horizon: Call of the Mountain, one of the first PSVR 2 games announced for the headset, required simple calibration. Through a series of tests, I followed a dot on the screen with my eyes, shifting them left and right, up and down.

"I'm good at this game," I told the demo attendant, who kindly laughed at my joke. He shot back, "Yes, but it gets harder." And it actually did get a bit trickier. The dot-following calibration test required me to follow a series of dots arranged in a large circle. This perimeter eye-tracking test was incredibly precise. I quipped, "Oh, this is stage 2!"

PSVR 2 eye-tracking also detected that my eyes weren't centered within the goggles' 110-degree field of view, a nice increase over the 100-degree PSVR 1. I was able to easily adjust the lenses to better match my eyes and saw a simple on-screen UI track their alignment. Super neat.
When Sony first announced PSVR 2 eye-tracking, I thought it was going to be limited to pushing pixels around the 4K display and not act as another input. There's a neat trick in VR that increases pixel density based on where a user is looking called foveated rendering – I recall that even the Samsung Gear VR was capable of this – but Sony's menus and games go beyond that. You can actually progress through screens or moments in a game based on where you're looking with your eyes. This is eye-tracking for real and I'm interested in how far it'll be taken in future game development.

eindrücke lesen sich sehr positiv, aber bin mir echt noch unsicher.

Para

Team | Content
in einem neuen interview hat neil druckmann bestätigt, dass naughty dog ihre projekte nicht mehr soweit im voraus ankündigen werden.
"In an interview with ComicBook.com to promote The Last of Us on HBO, Druckmann discussed how Naughty Dog's tendency to announce games too far in advance has previously harmed the studio. Naughty Dog specifically informed fans about what was being created for both Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last of Us Part 2 years before their eventual releases. Although these early announcements helped to generate buzz, Druckmann does not appear to want to do so again for the studio's next game."

"You're right, we did announce Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part 2 way in advance, but that actually caused a little bit of the work-life balance issues that we've sometimes had at the studio," Druckmann explained. "By delaying that announcement a bit, we could play with the schedule more and we're more conscious now about how we're approaching production. So there's our [The Last of Us] multiplayer project and there's another project that I will not say anything about that's beyond that that we're also very much excited for."

uncharted 4 wurde in november 2013 (zum ps4 launch) angekündigt und erschien mai 2016. the last of us part 2 wurde dezember 2016 angekündigt und erschien juni 2020.

für mich gibs kaum was besseres in dem ganzen showcase zirkus als eine anständige live gameplay präsentation, am besten direkt zur ankündigung. kann aber auch absolut verstehen, dass sowas sich nicht wirklich lohnt. gerade wenn dann das fertige produkt noch 2-3 jahre entfernt ist und die entwickler innerhalb von bis zu sechs monaten das ganze fertig schustern müssen, obwohl das eigentliche spiel noch nicht einmal komplett steht. siehe die früheren live demos zu horizon zero dawn, god of war, days gone, ghost of tsushima und eben auch the last of us part 2. sowas ist geil für uns, aber kostet eben auch zeit und budget von der entwicklung des spiels, die bekanntlich eh immer länger werden.

auf der anderen seite will ich aber auch nicht, dass sie anfangen zukünftige projekte, die 3-5 jahre noch entfernt sind, mit cgi trailern oder title cards anzukündigen. siehe den cgi teaser für wolverine, um bei playstation studios zu bleiben. ist einer der (wenigen) aktuellen beispiele, wo sie cgi benutzt haben, um einfach die ankündigung im umlauf zu haben. nett, sicherlich für manche auch wichtig, um überhaupt den kunden mitzuteilen, dass sie an etwas neuem arbeiten, aber das war es auch. richtige vorfreude oder "hype" kann ich dem nicht wirklich abgewinnen.

von daher würde ich es sogar begrüßen, wenn wir ankündigungen nun höchstens 1-2 jahre (oder sogar näher) vor veröffentlichung bekommen, damit die entwickler da schon bereits auf "richtiges" material zurückgreifen können, ohne extra eine vertical slice demo aus dem boden zu stampfen. von mir aus auch als in-engine material wie bei spider-man 2 oder eben typische cutscene montagen wie bei death stranding 2.

Cannibalpinhead

RETRO CRYPTKEEPER
Ich finde diese jahrelangen Ankündigungen total lästig... ich würde gern 6 Monate vor Release das erste mal davon hören, gleich Ingame-Material sehen und gut ist.
Glaube das würde auch deutlich mehr Druck aus den Produktionen nehmen und so ein besseres Produkt bedeuten.

Jayroc

Mitglied
Fände es so auch besser, ist einfach auch cool zu wissen, wenn ein Spiel nicht mehr X Jahre entfernt ist wenn es angekündigt wird. Wie oft hat man sich "zu früh" gefreut und man hat dann ewig nichts mehr davon gehört.

Reaktionen: Pathos und Para

Para

Team | Content
Kurz gesagt: ihr wollt es wie bei Nintendo :nintendo:

:shrug:

vielleicht!

MetroidPrime4_00.jpg

vielleicht? :sonic:

aber nein, nintendo ist da ein gutes beispiel, hätte da aber eher capcom genannt. abseits von paar ausnahmen (pragmata und ankündigungen von wegen "wir machen resi 2 remake/dragon's dogma 2!") sind deren ankündigungs-release fenster in den letzten 6-7 jahren auch sehr vorbildlich.

Reaktionen: Trekkie und Wolke

Para

Team | Content
scheinbar gabs einen kleineren leak zu einem unangekündigten playstation titel, welches mit einem noch nicht benannten europäischen third-party studio in zusammenarbeit mit xdev entsteht. könnte sich dabei um project ooze handeln, einem third person scifi rpg, welches auf der unreal engine 5 läuft. das videomaterial soll dabei einen älteren build (inklusive platzhalter assets) zeigen, während die entwicklung aktuell deutlich fortgeschrittener ist.

el_barto

join the serpent king as family
Ich höre meine PS5 wirklich nur (sehr leise), wenn alles im Wohnzimmer aus ist. Kein Lüfter, kein Spulenfiepen. Sie hat auch in den ganzen zwei Jahren noch nie irgendwie "hochgedreht", wie es die PS4 noch getan hat, je nach Spiel. Ich kann mich wirklich nicht beschweren.
So ist das bei mir auch.
Ja, sie ist lauter als die faktisch unhörbare XSX.
Aber im Vergleich zu meiner Base PS4 spielt sie in einer komplett anderen Liga. Die war sofort nach dem einschalten deutlich lauter als ich die PS5 je gehört hab.
Störend oder auch nur laut oder "nicht leise" würd ich sie nie bezeichnen. Auch die PS5 ist imo eine leise Konsole.

Mal davon abgesehen, dass ich bei der PS5 noch nie ein Hochfahren der Lüfter bemerkt hab. Die PS4 ist bei manchen Spielen und besonders im Sommer um Größenordnungen lauter gewesen und fast schon an das Niveau einer 360 mit laufendem Disclaufwerk ran gekommen...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: Jayroc und DoK

DoK

Mitglied
In Summe kann man sich über die PS5 echt nicht beschweren. Ehrlicherweise muss man aber sagen, dass die Series X technisch nochmal um einiges runder und leichtgängiger wirkt.

Sie ist leiser bzw. gar nicht wahrnehmbar und quick resume funktioniert wahnsinnig gut im Vergleich zur PS5

Reaktionen: el_barto

el_barto

join the serpent king as family
Jap, die beiden Punkte sind bei der XSX deutlich besser. Gerade Quick Resume ist ein Segen. Auch da es über Accounts hinweg funktioniert.
Meine Frau hat derzeit ihren AC Odyssey Stand immer über QR direkt zum weiterspielen auf ihrem Account bereit und ich kann übernehmen und ein anderes Spiel nahtlos übernehmen. Man ist halt gar nicht mehr auf das Speichern des Spiels angewiesen.

Aber Imo sind beide Konsolen technologisch so ausgereift und durchdacht, dass das im großen Bild eher Nuancen sind.

Reaktionen: DoK